Sunday, May 24, 2009

Remembering The Past....And Looking Ahead

Our day started with an amazing church service this morning.  It's Memorial Day and we have been attending Park Crest Assembly of God for a couple months now.  The sermon taken from 1 Thessalonians 4:13 - 18.  The following is from the NASB.
 13But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope.  14For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus.  15For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of  the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with the in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.18Therefore comfort one another with these words
When I think about those who have gone on before me, I miss my grandparents so much.  I so wish they were here today to see my beautiful sons.  If only I could have even just an hour, I would take it gladly.  However, I am so comforted and thankful that I will not be without them forever.  In fact, I am only without them for a short time and will spend forever in their presence because of Christ!  Praise the Lord! 

The actual sermon this morning was shorter than usual to make time for a video of pictures and stories from the members of the congregation who past away in the past few years.  The pastor apparently started this Memorial Day tradition a few years ago by gathering as many pictures as he could find of members who had already been called to their heavenly home.  As each picture was shown with their dates of birth and death along with a short description of their lives, I wondered...."If my picture was on that screen, what would they say?"

I believe that God speaks to His people.  I believe that God has been speaking to me about what He has for me and my family.  I believe that He has a mission for our family to carry out.  My desire is for people around me to know my heart and love for the Lord by the fruits of my life.  I hope that one day when I am gone, if my picture is in front of a church full of people, they will have evidence that I lived a life devoted to Christ and His calling for me and my family.

Doug and I are praying about the specifics of what it is that God has for us to do.  However, we both believe that it involves children.  Pray with us that we will be united in our vision and that we will step out with the Lord in faith and courage when it's been revealed to us what path we should take.

I'm so thankful for His love and grace, his patience and faithfulness!  God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment