Shared via AddThis
Monday, July 27, 2009
Shared via AddThis
Sunday, July 19, 2009
- After being home with the kids for several years, I HAPPEN UPON a job, which means I have to move from West Plains to Springfield (100 miles away +/-).
- A home for the kids and I to live in COMES TO US. Our neighbors are wonderful and so loving toward the kids and me.
- Doug moves to Springfield a few weeks later because of a PROMOTION.
- I find a wonderful church home in Republic Assembly and get ASKED to help with Praise & Worship.
- I start teaching and FIND a wonderful friend, who has just been through a divorce.
- I file for divorce, which leads to much CONVERSATION between Doug & I.
- A friend comes to visit for a few days, when a lot of my "issues" are REVEALED.
- I am LED to quit one small group and join another, where I hear about National Institute of Marriage.
- Court date draws near (4 days away) and I GIVE Doug 40 days to "do something". (No, I hadn't seen the Fireproof movie)
- He MAKES RESERVATIONS for a 4-day intensive at NIM and makes arrangements for kids.
- 5 couples from across the nation and Canada MEET in Branson, MO, and share their lives.
- I'm LED to try a new church, closer to our neighborhood where God SPEAKS the first day I'm there.
- God SPEAKS again, in the 2nd service, which I've INVITED Doug to come to, also.
- We STEP OUT in faith and choose to commit to our family staying together, whatever that looks like as we walk "through the wilderness".
Saturday, July 18, 2009
- Start seeds much earlier next year. Use newspaper to make potting cups and begin in early spring.
- Six inches of soil wasn't enough. All my plants grew, but they are root-bound. I have beautiful green plants but don't feel like they are yielding as much produce as they should. Not sure if this is the reason or not, but I'll plant deeper next season.
- I like the square foot design and will do the raised bed system again.
- I need one whole square for zucchini and squash.
- I like the tomatoes in buckets. Next year add more draining holes and place buckets on casters so they are easy to move.
- Horn worms are disgusting and they will devour tomatoes and peppers...quickly!
- The DE (ditamaceous earth) worked to prevent other pests. I used it about once a week. If it wasn't the DE, then I just got lucky. Other than the hornworms, I've had no other pest problems.
- Start composting.
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
I've seen over the past several months, several bloggers (sorry I didn't keep track of blogs to give credit to) with family mission statements. I thought this was a great idea. A mission statement helps define your purpose and those things you wish to be intentional about achieving. I love the idea of having a family mission statement to give that clarity to our family lives as well. Our statement is very general and we'll be writing down more specific goals within each area in the days ahead.
We are getting ready to move into a different home and I would like to come up with a way to incorporate our mission statement or some of the scripture references into the decor somehow. We'll see what happens with that after the boxes are unpacked. If you have any ideas, let me know!
The Widhalm Family Mission Statement
We believe that our purpose as a family is to lead a quiet life as we follow Christ, take care of our family and serve others. We will accomplish this by:
- valuing the Bible and our relationship with Christ as our guiding principals
- making our home a place of love, service, and growth
- interacting with each other in a spirit of love and forgiveness
- being diligent in our effort to serve others
1 Thess 4:11 & 12 ...and make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you, so that you will behave properly toward outsiders and not be in any need.
1 Peter 2:12 Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits us.
Romans 15:5-6 May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Galations 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness and faithfulness.
Matthew 18:21-22 The Peter came and said to Him, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.”