Thursday, June 18, 2009

How My Garden Grows!

I've enjoyed my garden so much!  I was so intimidated by this whole process, but it has been so easy and extremely rewarding.  The hardest part was getting it all set up, which really wasn't difficult, either.  If I can do this - anyone can!

The first pictures are just after I planted, which was the week prior to Mother's Day.  I put in two 4'x4' squares running east/west.  I used 2"x8" boards to make each square and filled them with a mix we learned about at a garden class.  You can read about that in my earlier garden post.

I planted two Black Beauty zucchini and two different types of yellow squash.  The zucchini were plants I purchased, but the yellow squash are heirloom varieties that I started from seed myself.  
In that same square I put oregano, rosemary, a few okra and one broccoli.  I tucked in a few marigolds here and there as well.

In the second box, I put six broccoli plants, three types of bell peppers, basil, and more marigolds.  This is what they looked like in the beginning.

                   

I also planted five different varieties of heirloom tomatoes in plastic tubs.  This has worked out wonderfully.  Four of them are doing great.  Mr. Stripey, the Orange Oxheart, Cherokee Purple and Brandy Wine are beautiful.  The exception is the Yellow Pear that just hasn't done well at all.  I think it isn't draining as well as it should, maybe.  The others are growing wonderfully, though, and we have small green tomatoes that I am so proud of! 

Here's what it looks like today.

                
     

The squash plants are growing like crazy and have almost completely covered all the other plants in that box.  I'll know next year to save one whole box for squash and zucchini.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That looks great! My garden isn't looking all that impressive because I started seeds too late and everything's still pretty small.

    ReplyDelete