Tuesday, June 30, 2009

They Say The Cutest Things!

This is one of those things I just wanted to get down on paper (disk space) somewhere before I forgot about it.  It is the cutest thing ever.

Jackson, who is now 7, is such a sweetheart!  What I really love most about him is his heart.  He is so compassionate and open toward everyone he meets.  It is extremely rare to find someone he doesn't get along with.  

A little background information will be helpful for this story to really make sense to anyone who doesn't already know our family.  My husband, Doug, is very dark complected and tans very quickly in the spring and summer.  After an hour on the lawn mower, he looks like an Indian and I've been asked more than once if he was from the Middle East (which wasn't such a good thing after 9-11).    Jackson has always said his dad was "brown", which is true.  He is browner than most and I appreciated Jackson's attention to detail.

Last fall, before the '08 Presidential election, Jackson commented about all the signs we were seeing on the highway.  He explained to me that McCain was against Obama and that they had won "round one" and "round two" would be soon.  Whoever won that, would be our President.  I was impressed he knew so much about the election since I hadn't shared any of that information with him.  And, of course, he was reading the signs which I thought was great, too.  Anyhow, when I asked him who he would vote for if he could, he got excited and told me he would definately vote for Obama.  When I asked why Obama was his choice, he said "because he's brown like my dad."  

We all got a kick out of that!  Poor Doug was the focus of laughter from West Plains to Brunswick.  It was so funny and I don't think Doug minded too much.

Well, a week or so ago, I commented to Jackson about what a nice tan he had.  He looked at his arm and said "Yeah, I'm starting to look like dad."  I could see a lightbulb go on and he looked at me with a puzzled face and said, "You mean, Dad's not really brown?  Is he really just tan like me?"  When I said yes, he just sunk and said "Oh".  He was disappointed!  All this time he really did think  Doug was *really* brown!  It was so sweet.  Then, he started asking about other "brown" people he knows.  

Too cute!  It is so sweet to see how open-minded and innocent he is without any negative junk in his head yet.  I wish I could keep him that way.  He loves everyone and it wouldn't matter what color they were - brown, yellow, pink - whatever.  It's all good with Jax.


  This was taken on his 7th birthday in April.  He had a candle in his cinnamon roll before we went to school that day.

2 comments:

  1. OMG....tears are rolling down my face. That is hilarious! You didn't tell me about that!

    ReplyDelete